2021 Focus Areas
The key focus areas for 2021 are:
- New Technologies for Prediction, Prevention, and Treatment of Myopia, including:
- Understanding the Impact of Environmental Factors and the COVID-19 Pandemic on Myopia Progression
- Novel Monitoring and Tracking Methods
- Sustainable Materials and Technologies for Storage and Transport of Contact Lenses and Contact Lens Care Solutions
- Contact Lens Technologies aimed at Protecting the Eye from Common Ocular Conditions (Age-related Changes, Dry Eye, Digital Eye Fatigue, and Environmental Insults), with emphasis on:
- Beneficial Ocular Health Compounds for Delivery to the Ocular Surface
- Controlled Release Technologies to Improve Ocular Moisture Retention / Eye Health
- Wavelength-blocking/Color Additive Technologies
- Understanding Scleral Lens Benefits for Dry Eye and Allergies
- Other Medical Applications of Contact Lenses
- Technologies to Elevate Visual Performance with Contact Lenses, with emphasis on:
- Enhanced Night Vision
- Technologies to Improve the Optical Quality of the Tear Film
- Technologies to Increase Contrast and/or Reduce Light Scatter
Research proposals may span proof-of-concept through translational stages. For this purpose, two types of awards are offered:
CooperVision Seedling Award
The CooperVision Seedling Award is intended to incentivize collaborations with CooperVision in a new research area for a one-year period. The maximum total cash amount for a CooperVision seedling is $100,000.
CooperVision Translational Research Award
The CooperVision Translational Research Award is a multi-year award for a substantive translational research project with funding over two years, totaling up to $400,000.
Any researcher with Principal Investigator (PI) status holding a MD, OD, or PhD is eligible to apply. Applicants, such as postdoctoral fellows, with a waiver of PI status must submit appropriate documentation before funding can be received.
Submission of a Letter of Intent (LOI)
Applicants must submit a LOI before June 25, 2021. If the LOI is accepted, applicants will be notified and invited to submit a full proposal.
Upon approval of the LOI, applicants may submit a full proposal. The complete proposal must be submitted by the deadline August 31, 2021.
Please note that animal model proposal studies will not be accepted for 2021 Science & Technology Awards
Please contact STAward@coopervision.com with questions.
CooperVision will make an effort to limit access to the LOIs and full proposals to CooperVision employees involved in implementing the Science & Technology Award. However, due to the numbers received, CooperVision will not enter into a confidentiality agreement as a condition for receipt of a LOI or full proposal. Therefore, applicants should take care to exclude confidential information from their submissions.